Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Another Chapter is starting

The image on the right is one of a series of pictures from the last CAT scan I had. I went through it with my urologist Friday. You can see the spine and then the white round object is the aorta, to the left of that, round gray object, is the vena cava. I outlined the tumor in red. It is about just under 3cm across and it starts just under then right renal artery and continues to the split into the Iliac artery (see image below scan). The urologist wants to operate to get the tumor out, kind of the next step after all the chemo. It will be a very extensive surgery that may last up to 8 hours. It involves a cut from the sternum to about 3in below the belly button. Removing the intestines to clearly work on extracting the tumor. Then it's a long road to recovery. I am getting a 2nd opinion this week from a Dr. in Little Rock, Ar. Should be interesting what he says.
I will be continuing the progress of the Dr. meetings and surgery through this blog. I'm looking at it as Round 2. Chemo being Round 1.
Never knew that surgery would be a part of the process but I guess with cancer you can never know and it can always change. I have learnt a lot from this experience and will be a better person for it.
Thanks for the continued prayers and positive energy you are all giving me.
I WILL beat this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are gonna smoke this thing, Mike. We are thinking of you, mate.