Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 22, 2006

My first 1/2 marathon win.

1st 67:23 1/2 marathon de Terrassa
I started the 2006 year well with my first win over the 1/2 marathon distance. The course was pretty hilly, but I felt very strong and could have went alot faster. It seems as though my training is working well. We passed the 10km in about 32 minutes and the 16km at just under 52, then I thought it was time for me to pick the pace up. I won by 20-odd seconds and you can find the full result here. A funny story: At the 12km marker the 2nd place finisher decided that he needed to take a leak and asked if I would wait for him. So, of course, being as I was taking it easy & there was no dinero for the win, I thought "Why not be nice and wait for this bloke? we have run together for 12km". So i jogged for about 2 minutes and waiting until he finished off and was able to catch up. During this point, the 3rd runner, Benito, had caught up aswell. It seems as though the 2nd bloke, a good friend of Benito, was aiming to run with him instead of pushing it through with me. So anyway...I ran with these two stooges for another 4km and thought "stuff it, I am going to win this thing and get it over with".
I am hoping to run under 65mins when I race this distance next. My next race brings me to the city of San Sebastian again, but this time for XC. Now this one should be interesting.....
MORE PICTURES IN MY FLICKR PAGES Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! Fantastic result Mike - congratulations!

What a wonderful start to the year, well done!

Gronk said...

Awsome Mike ! Well done. :)

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the win Mike. A great start to the year.

miners said...

Congratulations on a fantastic result - even with the leak-break factored in! You're too much of a nice guy ;)

All the best for your sub-65 goal

Anonymous said...

Well done son, still a classy act

punisher

Robert Song said...

Good news Mike.

You were very kind to that 2nd runner. I think I would have told him to piss off. Gosh you guys at the pointy end of the race are nice fellows. The middle of the pack is dog eat dog!